Created by The DM.
Made from burnt-out Ioun stones which have been crushed and re-imbued with magic, this fine dust flies around the head at high speed, creating a faint, colored cloud. A large amount of water, such as that of a rain storm, will render it inert. It settles on the wielder's head and shoulders, and won't reactivate until it has had ten rounds to dry. All forms of Ioun Dust provide 5% concealment against effects targetted specifically at the head, such as gaze attacks. Ioun Dust also provides a +1 shield bonus to AC. The concealment and AC bonuses do not stack if you use multiple forms of Dust simultaneously.
Ioun Dust comes with a container which is specially attuned to it. At a command word, the dust will leave the container and spread out around the owner's head, or gather back into the container. When the Ioun dust is destroyed, the container crumbles to dust.
As a free action, the wielder of Silver Ioun Dust can cause the cloud around his head to appear to be any roughly spherical or ellipsoid object, 3' in diameter or smaller. Among other things, this effect can be used to disguise the wielder as another person, though the effect is limited to the head. The Dust can even make the wielder's head invisible. These changes can be maintained for up to ten minutes, after which the dust must be left unused for at least one full round before being activated again.
Silver Ioun Dust can become visible or invisible at the wielder's whim. It can even become visible when the wielder is invisible.
Silver Ioun Dust swirls around in a clear glass vial, which is perpetually clean and blemishless. If the vial is opened by hand (DC20 strength check), there is a 25% chance that the Dust is destroyed, and a 75% chance that the wielder's head is immediately disguised as that of the nearest living thing of fine size or larger. This state remains for 24 hours, following which the Dust returns to the vial for a minimum of 24 hours.
Cost: 1500gp. Clvl 5, Craft Wondrous Item, Disguise Self, Invisibility
Once per day, at a command word, the cloud of Green Ioun Dust expands around the wielder until it forms a translucent shell of a creature with which the owner is familiar, which has five or fewer hit dice, and which is the wielder's size catagory or one step larger. This effect lasts for up to one hour. Otherwise, this functions in all ways like Polymorph.
Green Ioun Dust half fills a tiny crystal goblet. It is impossible to pour the dust out. If the Dust is forceably removed, it is destroyed.
Cost: 10,000gp. Clvl 7, Craft Wondrous Item, Polymorph
Once per day, Black Ioun Dust can be commanded to fly, as a swarm, towards any target. If the target fails a DC14 fortitude save, the dust clings to the target's body, sinking through clothing and armor as if it were made of wet clay. The target is afflicted with a -2 penalty to AC, and is fatigued.
If the target is undead, the Dust fortifies the creature, giving it a +1 bonus to natural armor, +10 temporary hit points, and +1 turn resistence.
In either case, all effects last until removed with Dispel Magic or Remove Curse. If the target is killed or the effect is dispelled while within 1000ft of the owner, the Dust returns to the owner's head. Otherwise, the dust dissipates into the air and the container crumbles to dust.
Black Ioun Dust can be used as a material component for any spell that animates a dead body. It is equivalent to 1000gp worth of material components. Dust used in this fashion cannot be used again. Once the Dust is completely used up, the container crumbles to dust.
Black Ioun Dust is stored in a 3” tall urn, elaborately decorated with untranslatable runes. If the dust is deliberately poured out of the urn, or another object is forced into the urn, there is a 75% chance that it immediately attaches itself to the person responsible, causing the AC penalty and fatigue effects, with a DC25 fortitude save. The remaining 25% of the time, the Dust is destroyed.
Cost: 5000gp. Clvl ?, Craft Wondrous Item, Touch of Fatigue, Animate Dead
Once per day, at a command word, Gold Ioun dust completely covers a willing target's body, and becomes solid and reflective. In this form, the Dust provides a +4 armor bonus to AC. This effect lasts for ten minutes.
Once per day, with a different command word, Gold Ioun dust completely surrounds a willing target's weapon, adding +5 to its hardness, and providing a +2 deflection bonus to AC as long as the weapon is used. This effect lasts for ten minutes.
Gold Ioun Dust is trapped inside a 3” long iron box with no apparent opening. When commanded to emerge, the box opens along an invisible seam. If the box is forced open (hardness 15, 20HP, or DC25 strength check), both Dust and box are destroyed, causing 3d6 damage to the person or object directly responsible for the destruction, if that person or object is within 100ft.
Cost: 7500gp. Clvl 5, Craft Wondrous Item, Mage Armor
Once per day, Red Ioun Dust can leave the wielder's head and form itself into a translucent shell of any of the creatures summonable using Summon Monster 1 or 2. This creature functions in all ways like a summoned creature of the same type, and will remain in its form for up to half an hour. When killed, the creature explodes into red dust, which returns to the owner's head, provided the owner is within 1000ft. If the owner is farther away, the dust vanishes and its container is destroyed.
Once per day, the wielder can form Red Ioun Dust into a translucent outline of any common object that would normally weigh less than 50lb. This object will remain in existence for up to an hour, and functions exactly like the mimicked object. If the object ever takes 15 or more damage from one attack, it explodes into red dust, which returns to the wielder's head, provided the owner is within 1000ft. If the object is destroyed, such as through a Disintigrate spell, the dust is destroyed as well.
Red Ioun Dust is stored in a little brown sack. If the sack is torn (hardness 2, 10HP or DC15 strength check), the dust immediately forms into a creature summonable using Summon Monster 4, which has an alignment most opposed to the creature or object responsible (the DM decides precisely which creature is summoned). This creature immediately attacks or attempts to destroy the creature or object responsible. Once it is successful, is killed, or half an hour elapses, the Dust is destroyed.
Cost: 23,600gp. Clvl 9, Craft Wondrous Item, Summon Monster 2, Fabricate
Orange Ioun Dust is highly volitile when the wielder wishes. At a command word, particles of dust explode in bright flashes of light which blind everyone in the area whose can see for two rounds (reflex negates). It can also be commanded to fly up to 700ft in any direction, producing a fireball that does 5d6 or 10d6 damage. Each of these effects uses up a number of charges given in the table below, and has a DC14 save. After using 10 charges, the dust is used up. In the mean time, it provides light as the Light spell.
- Blinding Flash: 1 charge
- 5d6 Fireball: 2 charges
- 10d6 Fireball: 5 charges
Orange Ioun Dust is stored in a blackened ceramic box. If the box is shattered (hardness 10, 15HP), the Dust is destroyed in a flash of fire which does damage to the person or object directly responsible for the destruction equal to 1d6 for each remaining charge.
Cost: 4000gp. Clvl 10, Craft Wondrous Item, Light, Fireball, Blindness/Deafness
Blue Ioun Dust provides the wielder with information about her surroundings. She can see equally well in all directions. The wielder gains a +5 competence bonus on Search and Spot checks. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC even when flat-footed, and she can't be flanked. However, she is not able to avert her eyes or close her eyes when confronted by a creature with a gaze attack. A light or continual flame spell cast directly on the wielder's head causes the wielder to be blinded for 1d3 minutes. A daylight spell blinds her for 2d4 minutes.
Blue Ioun Dust emerges from between the pages of a tiny gold-leafed book. Anyone who attempts to read the book must succeed at a DC20 wisdom check, or be blinded for d6+1 rounds. Reading the book has a 10% chance to destroy the dust.
Cost: 40,000gp. Clvl 11th, Craft Wondrous Item, True Seeing
Three times per day, White Ioun Dust can be sent out to surround the head of any target within 150ft. If that target fails a DC14 will save, he is affected as per the Confusion spell for three rounds. In the round after the effect expires or the save succeeds, the Dust moves to the head of the nearest creature that is Fine or larger in size, and lasts another three rounds, and so on. If the wielder calls it back, it takes three rounds for the command to be obeyed. A successful Dispel Magic will cause it to return immediately.
White Ioun Dust is trapped in a one-inch puzzle box, which solves itself and opens on command. The puzzle can also be solved with a DC22 intelligence check. Anyone who does this has a 50% chance of destroying the dust, and a 50% chance of being Confused for thirty rounds, following which the dust returns to the box and the puzzle locks itself again. A DC25 will save can be made each round, not including the first, to avoid the effects for that round.
Cost: 40,000gp. Clvl 5, Craft Wondrous Item, Confusion